A view from near the North Gate looking south towards the north side of the Royal Pavilion. The lovely tulips can be seen in the foreground.
Construction began on the winning student’s design in March 1950 (see Argus) on the present site. This Art Deco-style building took seven months to be completed at an estimated cost of £1000 (Argus Oct 1950). Mr. T closed the café at the request of the Brighton Corporation annually for the Mayor’s garden party which took place on the Western Lawn.
A view from near the North Gate looking south towards the north side of the Royal Pavilion. The old road can be seen that ran adjacent to the Royal Pavilion before the re-modelling of the Gardens
For this summer event the Lawn was totally enclosed for the sought after ticket only function which tickets for our family were always forthcoming. The average male customers wore suits with the ladies usually wearing hats. Mr. T continued to bake all his own cakes which included the famous rock cakes, shortbread, small meat pies, jam tarts and many others which were all very popular.
An artist’s impression in the Brighton & Hove Herald of the proposed two storey conference building.
On 5th March 1955 an ambitious proposal was put forward by the Royal Pavilion to build a large two-storey conference building that would have enclosed the Estate from New Road. An artist’s impression can be seen above of this scheme which included the expansion of the Corn Exchange to include shops and a public house along New Road. Notice was also to be given to Mr. T in October of this year which would have ended the family Café. However when this project was brought before Brighton Town Council’s Royal Pavilion Committee a week or so later it was overwhelmingly defeated.
Newspaper cuttings showing details of the proposed conference building in the Pavilion Estate.