Timeline Royal Pavilion Gardens
1787 Marine Pavilion designed by Henry Holland.
1788 Modest garden created. Circular lawn fronting the Steine.
1792 Garden expanded. Still formal.
1801 – 1803 Samuel Lapidge (Surveyor and pupil of Capability Brown) plants the garden.Informal gardens created and circuit walk surrounded by trees for privacy.
1804 – 1808 Stables and riding school built by William Pordon.
1808 Humphry Repton’s plans for the garden not executed.
Before 1815 High flint wall with small run of railings on top built.
1815 The Prince Regent is given Poplar trees from the botanic garden at Liverpool. John Furner of Brighton, John Nash and the royal gardener William Aiton plan the new garden at Brighton. First trees and shrubs arrive. Greenhouse built on the former Promenade Grove.
1815 – 1818 Marine Pavilion enlarged.
1826 Garden plan published in Nash’s Views I. Garden now about 7 acres. A picturesque garden with irregular shrubberies projecting into the lawns, forming changing patterns and views. Combination of trees, shrubs and plants for year round interest.
1830 Death of George IV. William IV succeeds. Layout of garden simplified. More evergreens,conifers, rhododendrons and laurels. William IV recommends substituting high wall surrounding the Pavilion by an open iron railing. Part of this may have been carried out but the high wall seems to have remained.
1831 – 1832 William IV builds North and South gates. Carriage drive built. North Gate House orientalised. Dormitories for servants built between Pavilion buildings and Prince’s Place. Part of these survive behind All Bar One.
1837 Victoria becomes Queen.
1847 Pavilion stripped of contents.
1849 In Pavilion Purchase Bill, the lawns and pleasure grounds were to remain and be kept open to the public for the purpose of exercise, recreation and amusement, everyday between 25th March and 29th September from 6am to sunset, and from 29th September to the 25th March from 8am to sunset. But subject to by-laws, rules, orders and regulations as to the decent and proper use and enjoyment of the same, as the Town Commissioners…may determine.
1851 Grounds opened to the Public. Road in front of the Pavilion constructed. South Gate demolished and replaced with two domed Mughal archways 40 yards to the North of the original gate. This gate was replaced in 1921. Large complex of service buildings to the south and west of the Great Kitchen was demolished.
1875 James Shrives creates shaped areas for bedded out plants.
1878 Exotic tropical plants shown in Pavilion grounds.
1893 Prince’s Place entrance to Pavilion grounds opened.
1900 The high flint walls surrounding the estate were taken down and replaced with low brick and flint wall topped with railings ‘so that the passing public…can obtain a better view of the grounds’.
1921 Indian Memorial Gateway built.
1921 – 1923 Indian style parapet designed by Captain B Maclaren flanking the Eastern lawns replaced with 1900 railings.
1922 Road widening reduces size of garden.
1939 Gilding on the Dome lantern removed for fear of air raids.
1941 Mr Herbert Tennent was granted permission by the Council to re-erect one of his beach-front wooden kiosks adjacent to the north-side of the Royal Pavilion almost touching the upright columns and adjacent to the road.
1950 Pavilion Gardens Cafe was built between March and September to provide a permanent location for the cafe in the gardens.
1980 Beginning of research on the history of the Regency garden.
1981/2 Beginning of garden restoration. First shrubberies created on East Front. Only plants available before 1826 used.
1984 WC’s constructed and rebuilt in Royal Pavilion Garden off Prince’s Place.
1987 Great Hurricane in October caused many large mature trees throughout the gardens to be blown down.
1991 – 1992 Road in front of Pavilion removed and turning-circle created, thus re-modelling the gardens on Nash’s original plans which were never developed at the time.
1995 Paths and planting established on the West Front.
1996 Garden listed Grade II by English Heritage.
2014 ‘Estate’ fencing obtained from Kensington Palace and installed in area adjacent to Prince’s Place